Dr Smitha’s research interest lies in conceptualising and delivering branding propositions that address business objectives. Specifically, her research initiatives centre on effective integration of offline and online media platforms to achieve meaningful outcomes.
She works closely with the pharmaceutical sector to study brand choice behaviour of physicians. Her study involving the prescription behaviour of over 600 physicians across the country paves way to conceptualising the Prescription Choice Prism Framework that is being published as a book for pharmaceutical marketing practitioners. In addition, she has also been an enthusiastic contributor to popular media publications and has over 46 publications to her credit as a columnist for Times of India, Economic Times, The Hindustan Times, Washington Post, Huffington Post and BBC.
- Digital Marketing in The Indian Pharmaceutical Industry: A Study To Assess Views Of Pharmaceutical Marketing Professionals In Using Digital Marketing As A Brand Promotional Lever; World Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, March 2016.
- Clinical Service Lines as a Competitive Strategy among Tertiary Eye Care Hospitals in Urban India; FIIB Business Review, June 2016.
- India Retail - The Billion Dollar Baby; ELK Asia Pacific Journal, July 2016.
- The Dettol Row: From Bathroom Wrangles to Kitchen Squabbles; ET Cases, 2015.
- Leveraging the Power of Social Media for Market Development. International Conference on Social Media Revolution: The End of Traditional Marketing Communication? August 24, 2016. ISBN No. 978-93-85526-97-8.
- Strategies for Marketing Financial Products (2018). In Personal Financial Planning (pp. 358-362). Bengaluru, Karnataka, India: Himalaya Publishing House.
Plenary Speaker Engagements
- Marketing Dilemmas in the Digital World
- Weaving a Story Socially
- De-marketing Myths in Marketing
- Leveraging Social for Definitive Business Outcomes
- Achieving Customer Centricity in the Digital Era
- Navigating the Digital Ecosystem
Awards & Recognition
- Outstanding Content Leader Award (May 2017); World Content Council
- Bhoomika Iconic Woman Award (March 2017); Times of India Group
- Best Quizzer - "Chanakya" (November 2016)
- Best Product Pitch Award (September 2016)
- Best Paper Award - Social Media & Digital Marketing (August 2016)
- Best Case Writer Award (September 2013)
- Rx Club Award (August 2010)